Blacksmith Box
Object/Artifact
Blacksmith box owned by John Thomas (JT) Caley. Box is made of wood with a cast iron handle that curves over the box. Cast iron strips are screwed onto the edges for stability. There is a larger compartment at the bottom and a small compartment divided into four areas at the top.
2024.31.001
John Caley immigrated from the Isle of Man in 1831. He started a blacksmith shop in Brighton, NY that was taken over by his son John Thomas (JT) Caley. The shop transitioned from a blacksmith shop in the mid 1880's, to a carriage maker and wheel right, to an auto body shop that spanned the beginning of the 20th century.
Genesee Country Village and Museum
circa 1860 - circa 1880
Brighton
New York
United States of America
North America
Caley
10-1/2 in
13-1/4 in
17-1/2 in
Wood
Cast iron
Brighton
New York
United States of America
North America